Dr. Zontos.MD, BSc, MSc, PhD, FISHRS, ABHRS
Education and experience.Dr. Zontos founded Zontos Hair & Skin Clinic in Greece after working as Medical Director at the Haarklinikken in Denmark since 2007. He holds BSc. Degrees in both Physics, Medicine, an MSc. in Medical Physics, and a Ph.D. in Medicine. He worked as a general surgeon at the 2nd Surgical Clinic of the 401 General Military Hospital in Athens from 2005 until 2007.Download pdf
Professional recognition.Dr. Zontos is a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS). A Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (Fellow ISHRS). He is the only doctor in Denmark who has obtained this highly regarded accreditation. Dr. Zontos performs hair transplantation surgery using the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method, a minimally invasive hair transplant technique. He is an expert in this field and is a regular speaker at numerous global hair restoration conferences.
Dr. Zontos developed the advanced diagnosis FOLLYSIS© SystemDr. Zontos is an internationally acclaimed hair transplant surgeon and has been published in scientific journals. His medical research is included in HAIR TRANSPLANT 360 FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION the first globally recognized hair transplant book about FUE.From 2010 to 2016, he was in charge of a hair transplant project at the School of Medicine at the University of Patras. This project led to the development of the FOLLYSIS© System, which is is an innovative software system designed specially to assure optimal results in diagnosis, treatment planning, and patient follow-up.
Practising medicine in DenmarkDr. Zontos is officially recognized by the Sundhedsstryrelsen, the National Board of Health of Denmark, the country's supreme professional Health Care Authority. The National Board of Health of Denmark has formally recognized Dr. Zontos as a surgeon of good standing. It has granted him the right to practice medicine and permission to practice independently as a physician under license number 06D8L.Since 2008 he has been registered as a hair transplant surgeon, including the patient's preliminary assessment before hair transplantation surgery in Denmark, under registration number 7-703-23-115/1/ANM. Dr. Zontos is also an officially recognized medical doctor qualified for independent practice both in Greece and the United Kingdom.
International experience.Dr. Zontos has performed about 5,000 hair transplantation surgeries in Denmark, Greece, Germany, France, Cyprus, the United Kingdom, Israel, and South Africa with excellent results.As the Medical Director of Haarklinikken in Denmark, he was dedicated exclusively to providing the best medical and surgical procedures for hair loss treatment.As a pioneer of FUE research, Dr. Zontos has developed a follicular unit extraction technique where shaving off the scalp is no longer necessary. This modified FUE technique is known as Long Hair FUE, which improves on the results of the traditional FUE method by allowing patients to maintain their hairstyle.Dr. Zontos has also developed a technique known as Vertical Extraction, which minimizes skin injury in the donor area while improving the quality of the extracted follicular units. His technique was published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology in 2017.His dedication to his patients' satisfaction and wellbeing have established Dr. Zontos as an internationally acclaimed Hair Surgeon.
10 Reasons to trust Dr Zontos.
An internationally acclaimed surgeon recognized as Fellow of ISHRS
It is a great honor for an ISHRS member to achieve recognition as Fellow of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (FISHRS). This title officially acknowledges that the surgeon meets exceptional educational standards and actively demonstrates continuous efforts for excellence in this field.
A diplomate of ABHRS
Every surgeon recognized as a Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) has successfully completed a course of rigorous examinations, both written and oral. Each examination is statistically validated to recognize and reward those surgeons who practice methods that are consistent with the highest standards of hair restoration surgery.
Ph.D. in FUE Hair Restoration Technique
Dr. Zontos holds a Ph.D. degree in Medicine. His thesis was titled ‘Design and implementation of an image processing system and mathematical algorithms for the optimization of the FUE hair transplantation technique.’ His Ph.D. research has been published in the peer-reviewed academic journals, the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, and the Journal of Dermatologic Surgery.
A highly experienced surgeon
He has performed approximately 5,000 procedures in many countries, including Denmark, Greece, Germany, France, Cyprus, UK, Israel, and South Africa. His patients have attested to his unique technique. The outcome is aesthetically pleasing and absolute natural.
Modern Technology at the service of his patients
By using FOLLYSIS©, a patented cutting-edge technology software, he offers his patients a computer-aided diagnosis, operation, and follow-up. Patients can feel certain they will receive the best possible treatment for their hair.
Minimally invasive follicle extraction method
Vertical Extraction minimizes injury to the donor area and allows for easier and more highly efficient harvesting of hair follicles. This method has been clinically validated and published in the scientific JOURNAL OF COSMETIC DERMATOLOGY.
Medical specialization and excellence
Dr. Zontos is a Hair Restoration Lecturer and Public Speaker at the ISHRS world congresses. He tirelessly participates in educational events and workshops and contributes through his research to the international hair restoration community. He is one of the few hair surgeons active as clinical faculty. He is regularly teaching the FUE technique to other surgeons.
A professional medical team throughout each surgery
His work during surgery is aided and supported by a highly educated and skilled medical team. All team members are continuously assessed and attend all the important workshops to improve their knowledge and skills in hair restoration.
The safety of each patient is always the main priority. Dr. Zontos is officially recognized as an Advanced Life Support Provider, and his medical assistants have also been trained and qualified as Basic Life Support providers.
Dr. Zontos personally performs all the critical steps of the hair transplantation process
- Preoperative diagnostic evaluation and consultation
- Surgery planning and execution
- Harvesting of hair follicles
- Meticulous design of the hairline
- Creation of appropriate recipient site
- Placement of hair transplants
- Post-operative instructions and patient follow up
My aim is that every single patient leaves my clinic feeling happy, satisfied and full of confidence. My main priorities are safety, satisfaction and knowing that my skills have improved a patient’s quality of life.
Dr. Zontos in numbers.
years of experience
presentations at conferences
Work seen in
- ISHRS Fellow Certification
- Protocol Examiner of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery
- Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery
- Ph.D in medicine by University of Patras
- Master's graduates of Medical Physics by University of Patras
- Graduate of Medicine by University of Patras
- Graduate of physics by University of Patras
- Registration to carry out hair transplantation procedure
- Licence to Practice independently as physician by the National Board of Health in Denmark
- Medical Practiotioner by General Medical Council (UK)
- Member of Athens Medical Association Type a message
- THE MEDICAL DOCTOR AT THE SCHOOL OF THE PANDEMIC FROM CORONA –VIRUS .ATHENS MEDICAL ASSOCIATION ,Oct 14 2020 On-line seminar
- ATLS Course for Doctors by the ACS Commitee on Trauma
- ALS Provider by the European Resuscitation Council
- ISHRS Member Certification
- ISHRS Basics Cours
- 2nd International Congress on Hair Restoration Surgery
- CME 25th Annual
- World Live Surgery Workshop 2018
- 8th FUE EUROPE
- 28th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 27th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 26th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 25th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 24th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 23th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 22th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 21th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 20th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 19th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- 18th ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting
- Georgios Zontos :Methods of mathematical modeling in FUE hair transplantation technique ,and how it can be optimized by using image processing .M.Sc. thesis ,University of Patras
School of Medicine 2013See publication
- G. Zontos, P. Rose, G. Nikiforidis: A mathematical proof of how the outgrowth angle of the hair follicles influences the injury to the donor area in FUE harvesting.
Dermatologic Surgery, October 2014 Volume 40 ,Issue 10See publication
- Zontos G.: The physics of follicular unit extraction :
Lam S., Williams K. Hair transplant 360, 2015, p.45See publication
- Georgios Zontos :What are the keys to minimizing evidence of extraction in the donor area in FUE .
FUE round table questions and answers, Forum 2016(20(4) :(138-148))See publication
- Georgios Zontos :Design and implementation of image processing system and mathematical algorithms in order to optimize the FUE hair transplantation technique, PhD Thesis.
University of PATRAS-School of Medicine .Greece 2016See publication
- G.Zontos, K.Williams ,G.Nikiforidis :Minimizing injury to the donor area in FUE harvesting .
The Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology .March 2017 Volume 16 issue 1 p.61-69See publication
- P.Rose ,G.Zontos :Examination of exit angle of hair at the skin surface versus the internal angle of Hair as it relates to the FUE/FIT harvesting method .
FORUM INTERNATIONAL Jan -Feb 2017See publication Part 1See publication Part 2
- Georgios Zontos : Coronal or Sagittal Incisions: A Mathematical Approach to the Problem. FORUM HAIR TRANSPLANT INTERNATIONAL, March 2020 Vol. 2,issue 2 ,p.37-43See publication
- G.Zontos :Mathematical hair growth model ,International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery18th Annual Meeting BOSTON 2010
- G.Zontos :Mathematical approach of lateral and sagittal incisions , International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery19th Annual Meeting ANCORAGE 2011
- G.Zontos:Hair restoration for congenital etiology baldness in occipital region of the head for a 15 year old male patient using FUE ,International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery19th Annual Meeting ANCORAGE 2011
- G.Zontos :.Scar repair for a 15 year old male patient using FUE.International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery20th Annual Meeting Bahamas 2012
- G. Zontos, G. Nikiforidis: How the outgrowth of the hair follicles influences the injury on the donor area in FUE. A mathematical approach to the problem, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery20th Annual Meeting Bahamas 2012
- G. Zontos, G. Nikiforidis: How Image Processing in FUE harvesting can be used in calculating the reduction of skin trauma by injecting normal saline, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery21st Annual Meeting, 2013, San Francisco
- G. Zontos, P. Theoharakis, G. Nikiforidis: A Novel Integrated Database System for Follicular Units Transplant, Based on Micro-Photos Image Analysis and Statistical Inference, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery22nd Annual Meeting, 2014, Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia
- G. Zontos, G. Nikiforidis: A scientific description of transection rate in FUE: reasons and solutions, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Annual Meeting23rd Annual Meeting, 2015, Chicago
- G.Zontos:FUE hair transplantation technique: Annual scientific meeting of Danish association of Plastic Surgery .Middlefart-Denmark 2015
- G.Zontos :A comparison study of transection rate and wound surface size cause by a manual and motorized sharp punch in FUE .24th ISHRS World Congress .Las Vegas 2016.
- G.Zontos:An Application of a Computer Aided Diagnosis (Cad) and Treatment Planning System in FUE Harvesting Procedure. Design, Review and Practical Evaluation24th ISHRS World Congress .Las Vegas 2016.
- G.Zontos :The potential regeneration of transected hair follicles in the donor area using FUE25th ISHRS World Congress, Prague 2017
- G.Zontos ,Il.Shchur :The use of implanters in FUE .ISHRS ,Surgical Assistant Program , 25th ISHRS World Congress, Prague 2017
- G.Zontos :Principles of good placing in FUE.ISHRS WORLD LIVE RURGERY WORKSHOP ,Dubai 2018
- G.Zontos:Transection :Why and how it matters . ISHRS WORLD LIVE SURGERY WORKSHOP ,Dubai 2018
- G.Zontos :Minimizing injury to the donor area in FUE.7th Annual Meeting FUE EUROPE SOCIETY ,MALAGA 2018
- G.Zontos :Motirized versus manual FUE.7th Annual Meeting FUE EUROPE SOCIETY ,MALAGA 2018
- G.Zontos :Life patient Viewing .26TH ISHRS WORLD CONGRESS ,HOLLYWOOD 2018.
- G.Zontos :FOLLYSIS innovative hair transplant analysis system . 8th Annual Meeting FUE Europe Manchester ,June 2019
- G.Zontos : How to prevent overharvesting In FUE . 8th Annual Meeting FUE Europe Manchester ,June 2019
- G.Zontos :The projected number of grafts/hairs in FUE . 8th Annual Meeting FUE Europe Manchester ,June 2019
- G.Zontos ,J.HARRIS ;Automatic calculation of hair diameter index .27th ISHRS World Congress Bangkok 2019
- G.Zontos :Coronal versus Sagittal incisions .Workshop 111 :Recipient area :Incisions making and graft placement .27th ISHRS World Congress Bangkok 2019
- G.Zontos ,Il.Shchur :How to handle a graft safely . ISHRS ,Surgical Assistant Program, 27th ISHRS World Congress Bangkok 2019
- G.Zontos :How do I assess the donor area by using FOLLYSIS .ISHRS Basics Courses in Hair Restoration Surgery .Aug.22-23 2020
- G.Zontos :Recipient site creation –Coronal vs. Sagittal . ISHRS Basics Courses in Hair Restoration Surgery .Aug.29-30 2020 .
- G.Zontos :Sagittal versus Coronal incisions :How to reduce the injury to the donor area by 300%. Virtual 2020 ISHRS 28TH World Congress ,Oct.15-25 2020.
- G.Zontos ,Il. Shchur :FUE :What do we do during the excision ?ISHRS Surgical Assistan Program . Virtual 2020 ISHRS 28TH World Congress ,Oct.15-25 2020
- G.Zontos :How to prevent overharvesting by calculating the Hair Diameter Index in the donor area using FOLLYSIS .GHLS 2020 ,4-6 Dec. 2020
- G.Zontos :The regeneration of transected hair follicles . GHLS 2020 ,4-6 Dec. 2020.
- G.Zontos :Graft transection :Why and how it matters ? A mathematical explanation .GHLS 2020 ,4-6 Dec. 2020.
- Moderator at the session; New innovations .23rd ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting .Chicago 2015
- Moderator at the session: Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cells .8th Annual Meeting FUE Europe Manchester 2019
- Moderator at the General Session 3:Donor and recipient . Virtual 2020 ISHRS 28TH World Congress ,Oct.15-25 2020.
- Faculty member at: PRINCIPLES OF FUE/FIT Workshop 101 18th ISHRS Annual Meeting BOSTON 2010
- Faculty member at: FUE hands- on Course: Manual -non powered FUE techniques and Instrumentations .23rd ISHRS annual scientific meeting .Chicago 2015.
- Faculty member at: Basic FUE Workshop .24TH ISHRS World Congress .Las Vegas 2016
- Faculty member at : ISHRS World Live Surgery Workshop ,Healthcare City, March 8-10 Dubai UAE 2018
- Faculty member at: Workshop 111 :Recipient area :Incisions making and graft placement .27th ISHRS World Congress Bangkok 2019
- Faculty member at: ISHRS Basics Courses in Hair Restoration Surgery .Aug. 22-23 and 29-30 ,2020
- Founding Faculty at :GHLS 2020 ,4-6 Dec. 2020
Membership & Fellowship
- Co-Chair of the ISHRS Advanced Board Review Course 2020-2021
- Member of ISHRS Europe Council
- Award of Appreciation for recognition as faculty. 8th Annual Meeting FUE Europe Manchester, June 2019
- Pioneer of FUE Award ,7th Annual Meeting FUE EUROPE SOCIETY ,Malaga 2018
- Member of ISHRS Europe Council 2019
- Member of ISHRS Membership Committee 2018-2020
- Member of ISHRS Membership Committee.2017
- Member of ISHRS CME Committee 2016
- Member of World Congress Scientific Committee 2016 .
- Man of the year: DHI medical group - 2005
- Hair surgeon of the year: DHI medical group - 2004
- Felloship of holy see of Ilias 1989-1990